If you are not using e-learning as an important component in your learning mix, you might want to consider the following seven benefits of e-learning...
by Cindy Pascale, CEO, Vado, Inc.
If you are not using e-learning as an important component in your learning mix, you might want to consider the following seven benefits of e-learning:
1. Cost Effective: Study after study show the cost savings of training employees using e-learning courses instead of instructor-led workshops. Cost savings come from:
- Not paying an instructor
- Not having to pay for training space
- No travel costs for the instructors and/or learners
- Less time away from the workplace
Ernst & Young estimates the cost savings is as high as 35 - 52%
2. Faster: When using instructor led training, rolling out training is limited to the number of instructors and the amount and availability of training space. These limitations do not exist when using e-learning. Once a course is created, it can be made available to all learners and be consumed by all learners in a very small window of time. According to Brandon Hall, using e-learning saves 25 – 60% of the amount of time convey the same amount of instruction as in a classroom
3. Flexible: Give your learners the freedom to learn at their own convenience, spending more time on the parts that they need and less time on the parts that they already know. Access to training on a 24X7 allows the learner to take the training when and where they want and move through the training at their own pace.
4. Greener: Reduce the carbon foot print of your training by eliminating the need for printed training materials and less travel for the trainers and learners. Additionally, as processes change, you don’t need to worry about updating manuals given out during training sessions. Simply update one course.
5. Collaboration: In instructor led workshops, learners collaborate with the other participants of the workshop. Today’s technology allows learners to collaborate with other course users around the globe
6. Consistency: Trainers can ensure one message is being delivered to all learners.
7. More Effective: The best reason for offering e-learning is because it is more effective than traditional instructor led workshops. Five different studies show that e-learning is more effective than traditional training and one study in particular conducted by Brandon Hall notes the following specific gains:
Learners’ attitudes toward the e-learning format and training in general
- Learners’ scores on tests, certifications or other evaluations
- The number of learners who achieve “mastery level” and/or pass exams
- Learners’ ability to apply new knowledge or processes on the job
- Long term retention of information
Given all the benefits of e-learning, if your organization is not considering it as part of your learning mix, it might be time.
About Vado: Vado is an off the shelf e-learning courseware provider specializing in employee soft skill and management development courses. Research shows that 70% of development happens on the job, and Vado is the only off the shelf e-learning courseware provider that helps the learner apply on the job through step by step instructions. The combination of short videos followed by step by step instructions on how to apply on the job helps the learner put into practice the instruction they just completed. Vado’s courses are optimized for the mobile learner.